Monday, April 5, 2021

Supreme Court History

The Supreme Court has long been a crucial part of the US government. Formed in 1789, its been around just about as long as the country has. After reading the Supreme Court article from the History Channel, I discovered that although the Supreme Court was founded in 1789, its first case wasn't decided until two years later in 1791. Something new I learned was that the first Chief Justice was John Jay, who was also a contributor to the Federalist Papers along with founding fathers James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. Something surprising I learned was that the Chief Justice presides over the impeachment trials. I didn't know they play such a major part in our country history.



The importance of the Supreme Court in our country was my biggest takeaway from this article. These handfuls of people throughout the years have made some of the biggest decisions in law making. They've decided very important cases, from Plessy v Ferguson, to US v Nixon, to Roe v Wade. They've decided on all issues such as race, abortion, gender, and sexuality. After learning more about the Supreme Court, I now look at them a little bit differently. I don't think I ever truly appreciated the weight of what they do. I won't take there work lightly from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology

When I was a little kid, I remember sitting in the back of my dad's car, taking the hour long drive to our shore house on the coast of N...